Sunday, July 1, 2012

Technology + Classroom = I LOVE!!

I can't express how much I LOVE Technology!! Many of my coworkers can share how much I try new things and then instantly SHARE it with them!

So, I came across this blog:



And I am SUPER excited to be following them! (More like stalking them! haha)

I have SO many things that I have digitally made for my classroom and students. I can't wait to upload the documents I have made and I get to share with other teachers in blog land!

I am just curious as to how many teachers out there use Mimio like our school?

If you don't know what Mimio is, I would love to share it with you. I will be making a lot of documents for my classroom and I want to share what it is that I am using! Here is their website: www.mimio.com

Mimio says, "we'll transform your regular dry erase boards into fully interactive whiteboards."

They are not kidding! You get a bar, pen (I call it a "magic pen"), and a dongle!  The dongle is the little piece that goes into your computer and sends signals back and forth from the bar. The bar hangs on your whiteboard. The pen is the MOST important part. It is not like a SMARTboard where you can use your finger as the mouse, you have to use the pen. Here is a picture of the one that I have in my classroom.



This is what the new set looks like. (My friend Tanya at A+ Firsties has this one!)
 
I wish I was able to get to my documents at school. I have MANY pictures of students using the Mimio during activities.

You attach the bar to your already existing dry erase board. Then, plug the dongle into your laptop and TADA you are ready to go! Then you have to calibrate your board by pressing a button on the bar, tapping the pen on the appropriate marks. It's like having a SMARTboard, but WAY cheaper. However, you have to use a pen at all times!

Also, another plus about the Mimio that I noticed from the smart board... When students write on the board the like to place their other hand flat on the board, too. On a SMARTboard, you cannot do that! On the Mimio, they can!

I can go ON and ON about the Mimio and how great or how different it is than the SMARTboard, but I can do that another day! This post was just introducing the Mimio hardware to my fellow teachers! If you want to know more just contact me and I will give you all the information I have!

You will be seeing my documents I make with my Mimio and I just wanted to give you "prior knowledge" of what it is! :)

Have a great Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out about Technology Tailgate! We appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove Technology Tailgate! Thanks for sharing about the Mimio, it looks great!

    Ashley
    The Resource Room Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love my Mimio! I had an ActivBoard at my old school. I loved it so much. I think the Mimio is better in terms of flexibility and cost effectiveness. I'm bringing my Mimio to a district inservice. I would never be able to do that with an ActivBoard!

    ReplyDelete